Southport Lyric Singers

History

The Southport Lyric Singers was formed in 1954, when a group of people from St.George’s Presbyterian Church on Lord Street decided that there was a need for a group of singers prepared to entertain both the elderly and blind of the town.

Rehearsals were held at Galley House in Wright Street and the ladies of the group gave afternoon concerts there for the blind.

The Choir grew from strength to strength and became well known in the area for raising money for local charities.

From the late 50’s the choir was under the leadership of Harry Hainsworth, who was also well known in the town as percussionist for most of the amateur shows at the Little Theatre and the Arts Centre. He devoted hours to arranging selections for the Choir, many of which we still perform regularly. He is remembered with great affection.

Over the years the Choir has given many prestigious concerts, performing alongside John Heddle Nash who also guested at our Silver Jubilee, and on several very happy occasions in the 80’s with Vernon and Maryetta Midgley accompanied at the piano by their mother Gladys.

After Harry’s death in 1991, we were pleased to welcome back former member of the choir, Edna Woodward, as our Conductor who has taken the Choir from strength to strength.

We have kept up the tradition of entertaining the elderly and perform regularly at Marshside Tuesday Club, Alexandra House Nursing and Residential Home and Connell Court Methodist Home.

We also give special concerts in aid of local charities and usually raise over Ā£2000 a year.